They call soccer the world’s game. With good reason. It is played around the globe by people of every age, sex, nationality, etc. Its capacity to unite us under one passion is never-ending. It has no boundaries.
What better theme to explore at this year’s 9th annual Kicking + Screening Soccer Film Festival in New York? “No boundaries” meshes perfectly with what we feel is one of the most powerful aspects of the beautiful game — the ability to tear down walls and remove barriers of all kinds. Our four feature films this year reveal how soccer can break through boundaries geographical, psychological, political, and fanatical.
The festival runs from Tuesday, June 6, through Friday, June 9, at midtown Manhattan’s Scandinavia House. Over the four days, K+S New York 2017 will showcase stories that celebrate the beautiful game’s boundless capacity to surprise us and delight us.
Lineup + Schedule
Inside a Volcano: The Rise of Icelandic Football
Tuesday, June 6 | 7:00PM ET
- The inside story of Iceland’s golden generation, a group of young boys who grew up dreaming of shocking the world someday – and then made their dreams come true. (Info, trailer + tickets)
- Also screening: Maracanazo (short)
The 90-Minute War
Wednesday, June 7 | 7:00PM ET
- Finally, after more than a hundred years of bloodshed, the Israeli-Palestinian conflict is about to be resolved -- by a soccer game. The winners stays in the Holy Land; loser leaves. Funny, sad, and politically incorrect, this dark comedy kicks the Middle East’s central conflict to the sidelines – where it belongs. (Info, trailer + tickets)
Les Bleus: Une autre histoire de France (Another Story of France)
Thursday, June 8 | 7:00PM ET
- Over the past two decades, the French national team has brought its country together in joy (see: World Cup, 1998), in confusion (see: Zidane, 2006), and in pain (see: World Cup 2010). Throughout, as this poignant doc shows, the team has forced its country to ask questions of itself -- about identity, diversity, and equality. (Info + tickets)
Friday, June 9 | 7:00PM ET
- Canadian actor and funny man Jay Baruchel has a lifelong dream: to watch a match at Celtic Park, home of world-famous Celtic FC. Ready to make it reality, he embarks on an epic journey through Canada, Ireland, and Scotland joined by new friend and soccer journalist Eoin O’Callaghan. (Info, trailer + tickets)
- Plus: Closing night party, presented by Venezia FC + Herrick
Welcome, Venezia FC, Herrick, and Einstök Beer!
Kicking + Screening is thrilled to announce three new partners for K+S New York 2017:
- Venezia FC, the Italian soccer club that recently secured promotion to Italy’s Serie B, will co-present closing night at K+S New York 2017. Since coming under American ownership led by New York attorney Joe Tacopina, Venezia FC has received international attention as one of the most exciting brand stories in Italian football.
- Herrick’s Sports Law Group, which has helped forge many of the industry’s biggest transactions, partnerships and sports business concepts, will co-present of closing night at K+S New York 2017. Herrick counts among its clients soccer clubs D.C. United, Venezia FC, and New York City FC.
- Einstök Beer Company is the official beer of K+S New York 2017 and will provide complimentary beer during the festival. Located just 60 miles south of the Arctic Circle in the fishing port of Akureyri, Iceland, the Einstök Brewery taps the purest water on Earth to create its craft ales, including Icelandic White Ale, Icelandic Arctic Pale Ale, Icelandic Toasted Porter, and the new Wee Heavy Scotch Ale.